Antonin Artaud’s Magical Cane (2021) is an artificial life art animation by Joseph Nechvatal. The audio is a track from my pour finir avec le jugement de dieu viral symphOny plague composition from The Viral Tempest LP to be released in October by Pentiments.org.
In 1937, Antonin Artaud obtained a walking stick of wood that he believed belonged not only to St. Patrick, but also Lucifer and Jesus Christ. Artaud traveled to Ireland, landing at Cobh and traveling to Galway in an effort to return the stick. However, speaking very little English, and no Irish whatsoever, he was unable to make himself understood.
Intro) Paul De Marinis: Yellow Yankee.TELLUS #9 – Music with Memory
~ CAROL PARKINSON & JOSEPH NECHVATAL IN CONVERSATION WITH FROSTY ~
1)Remko Scha:katadeedo daynatadoh (“restored to youth according to beauty I walk”) Composed on DEC Talk, excerpt from IMPRESSIONS OF AFRICA, by Remko Scha and Ellen Zweig, guitars by The Machines. (1987) TELLUS #22 – False Phonemes:
2) Joseph Nechvatal: Psychedelic Hermeneutic. TELLUS #20 – Media Myth
3) Brian Reinbolt: Switched Thing. A product of experiments with gating recorded sounds to produce rhythms. Industrial and radio sourcetapes were used for the version. Rhythms were programmed on an AIM 65 computer clocked by a synthesizer. TELLUS #3
4) Carol Parkinson:Ramp. Multitrack acoustic piano, electric organs and autoharp. TELLUS #2
5) Bradley Eros: The Atom & Eve of Destruction TELLUS #1
6) Antonio Russolo: “Corale”, “Serenata”, 1924, Musica Futurista, organized by David Lombardi, Fonit Cetra. TELLUS #21 – Audio by Visual Artists
7) Paul Bowles: Music for a Farce 1. 1936, performed by Chicago Pro Musica. Courtesy of Reference Recordings, San Francisco, CA. TELLUS #23 – The Voices of Paul Bowles
8) Brenda Hutchinson: Wordplay. TELLUS #1
9) Arto Lindsay and Toni Nogueira: Buy One. Recorded at PASS by Dana and mixed by Gerry. TELLUS #10 – All Guitars!
10) Minoy: Tango. TELLUS #20 – Media Myth
11) Maurice Methot:Overture From La Dolarosa. TELLUS #20 – Media Myth
12) Julius Eastman: Touch Him When. A piano four hands composition played by the composer and Steve Marrow. TELLUS #4
13) Christian Marclay:Groove. Turntables. March 1982. Recorded at Noise N.Y. TELLUS #8 USA/Germany
14) Merzbow: Gamma-Titan. TELLUS #13 – Power Electronics
16) Kiki Smith: Life Wants to Live. Excerpt from Life Wants to Live, a sound installation at the Kitchen in December 1983. TELLUS #2
17) Ron Kuivala: Ti Intends…(to enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent permitted by the law). The piece was an attempt to display and analyze the disembodied corporate imagination that devised the Military and Time/Weather vocabularies. TELLUS #2
18) Gregory Whitehead: Eva Can I Stab Bats In A Cave. A palindrome drone from the radio series Loose Tongues. TELLUS #7 – The Word I
19) Lydia Lunch and Lucy Hamilton: Lucy’s Lost Her Head Again. Extract from The Drowning of Lucy Hamilton(Widowspeak/Rough Trade). TELLUS #10 – All Guitars!
20) Sue Hanel: Dupe. TELLUS #10 – All Guitars!
21) George Brecht: Comb Music (Comb Event). 1959-62. Performed by John Armleder August 23, 1988. Engineered by Brenda Hutchinson at Studio PASS, N.Y. TELLUS #21 – Audio by Visual Artists
22) Joe Jones: Flux Music Box TELLUS #24 – FluxTellus
23) Vernita Nemec: Private Places. An excerpt from an installation for The Second Coming, a show by Carnival Knowledge at Franklin Furnace. TELLUS #2
24) Blackhouse: One Nation Under God. TELLUS #13 – Power Electronics
25) If, Bwana: Umm… TELLUS #13 – Power Electronics
26) Patrick McGrath: Spike Rising. TELLUS #7 – The Word I
27) Mojo: The Fighters Distance. (Excerpt) TELLUS #13 – Power Electronics
28) David Rosenbloom: Flowers (excerpt from Departure). TELLUS #2
29) Paul Dresher: Pygmy Vocal Music. TELLUS #4
30) Paul Lansky: Not Just MoreIdle Chatter. TELLUS #22 – False Phonemes
31) Liquid Liquid:Groove to Go. (Recorded live at Irving Plaza Nov. 22 1985) TELLUS #12